Workshop: Integration of Optical and Satellite Communication Systems into 5G Edge Networks (OSCto5G)
July 19 // July 23
During the 22th International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks, which will take place next July in Bari, Italy, the i2CAT Foundation will organize the 2nd workshop on ‘Integration of Optical and Satellite Communication Systems into 5G Edge Networks (OSCto5G)’.
The session will focus on optical fiber, satellite systems and enablers like Network Softwarization (NS), which are key technologies to support the 5G vertical requirements. It triggers an enormous effort, at different levels, ranging from the definition of use cases and architectures, physical layer integration, network management and orchestration up to standardization actions, to integrate inhomogeneous communication technologies under a single uniform umbrella.
The aim of this workshop is to present recent research results targeting the integration of the optical and satellite communication systems into 5G edge networks.
Topics of relevance include:
- Use Cases and Architectures
- Operators and Enterprise-based Environments;
- Slices in Constrained Environments (IoT, Edge, etc.);
- Innovative service and Application;
- Smart-X slice mobility.
- Physical Layer Design and Hardware Aspects
- Advanced Optical Elements for 5G Communications
- Advanced Satellite Systems for 5G Communications
- Network Softwarization, Management and Orchestration
- Virtualization of Satellite and Optical Elements;
- Software Defined Networking for Converged Technologies;
- Common operations and API;
- Inter- and intra-slice Interactions;
- Lifecycle Management and Orchestration;
- High Availability and Reliability Techniques.
- Standardization Trends and Activities
- Status and progresses in 3GPP/ETSI/IETF/5GAA and other SDOs;
- Slice-enhanced Networking and Telecommunication Protocols;
- SDN/NFV Initiatives;
Technical Program Committee
- Dr. Pouria Sayyad Khodashenas, Fundació i2CAT, Spain
- Dr. Hamzeh Khalili, Fundació i2CAT, Spain
- Dr. Muhammad Shuaib Siddiqui, Fundació i2CAT, Spain
- Dr. Daniel Camps Mur, Fundació i2CAT, Spain
- Dr. Eduard Grasa Gras, Fundació i2CAT, Spain
- Dr. Sergi Figuerola Fernandez, Fundació i2CAT, Spain
- Dr. Ioannis Tomkos, Athens Information Technology, Greece
- Dr. Dimitrios Klonidis, Athens Information Technology, Greece
- Dr. Pablo Pavon, Technical University of Cartagena, Spain
- Dr. Ramon Duran Barroso, University of Valladolid, Spain
- Dr. Jaume Comellas, Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Spain
- Dr. Behnam Shariati, Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Spain
- Dr. Harri Saarnisaari, University of Oulu, Finland
- Dr. Erwan Pincemin, Orange Labs, France
Please follow ICTON 2020 submission rules, which can be found here (4 pages in electronic form, MS Word version accompanied by a PDF version). All accepted OSCto5G papers will be included in ICTON 2020 Proceedings (published on IEEE Xplore).
Submission deadline: 31 March, 2020
Notification of acceptance: 30 April, 2020
Post-deadline papers with very recent results are requested by 2 June, 2020.